[Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module

  • From: bernd.buechs AT freenet.de (Bernd Büchs)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module
  • Date: Wed Jan 31 23:28:01 2007

Am Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2007 17:38 schrieb Frank Jepsen:
> Hello Matteo,
>
> >> I proposed to switch the VDR-Wakup timeout in the firmware up to 10 sec
> >> to put it high above the Waittime default value of 5. After all it is
> >> only a fallback when something went wrong with the PC. In normal case
> >> the vdr-wakeup should get the end code 0xCF send. Then this problem with
> >> backlight being turned of would be no more.
> >>
> >> I think this way is the easiest way to do it.
> >
> > You're right, but the smartest is the keep-alive message. ;-)
> > It's just my humble opinion, feel free to correct me.
> >
> > But, as a temporary workaround it is perfect!
>
> I thought it would be the easiest way to let Waittime do the job. I
> understood that this value does make sure that the display gets updated
> every 5 seconds. Or what is the purpuse of this value?
>
> Bye
> Frank

Well, here are my thoughts on that more from a user perspective. :-)

I am personally not in favor of a change of the vdr-wakeup "firmeware" for
one
practical reason - I have no possibility (yet) to to update it! I would
further argue, of cause a little selfish ;-), that this might be true for
some other vdr-wakeup users...

As I interpret the LCDd.conf WaitTime=2 forces the cycling of e.g. lcdproc
client screens with this frequency. So I agree with Matheo that showing
client screen only for 2 seconds might be in some cases too short.

This brings me to the idea to propose the introduction of a LCDd.conf
value "ForcedFullRedrawTime" *) with a default of e.g. 10 sec. In the case of
vdr-wakeup it should be set to 2 sec. This value should work independantly
from the client(s) used, because e.g. airlcd <http://airlcd.sourceforge.net/>
maintains its own screen duration time. I recognized that the backlight was
shot off if I used the standard screen duration of 8 sec.

*) Another perspective is to argue that this "problem" is vdr-wakeup specific
and not worth to spend an extra config option. So, if no other hardwares or
usage situations would benefit from it I would think this could
be "hardcoded" only for the vdr-wakeup variant.

Frank - didn't you do more or less exactly this in
your "lcdproc-0.4.5-fj2.diff"? At least thats my rudimentary interpretation
of what is meant with [...
+ // force full refresh of display
+ if (refreshdisplay > 0 && time(NULL) > nextfullrefresh)
+ {
+ refreshAll = 1;
+ nextfullrefresh=time(NULL)+5;
+ } ...] and some other code...