[Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module

  • From: bernd.buechs AT freenet.de (Bernd Büchs)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module
  • Date: Tue Jan 30 21:07:01 2007

Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 22:14 schrieb Peter Marschall:
> Please Bernd and Markus test and report feedback.

With pleasure! Here comes my report:

I tried lcdproc-CVS-current-20070130. It compiled smothly, also the screens
looked good! But with lcdproc "Load" screen the backlight went off...

Wait, ...

Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 22:02 schrieb Peter Marschall:
> So, a simple client sending something every 1 or 2 seconds should keep the
> backlight on.
So I used LCDd.conf with WaitTime=2 and the backlight was kept on!

It seems that during my previous tests (with WaitTime=5) the LCDd server
screen was keeping the backlight on (heartbeat). All other screens had
information changes within 1...3 sec, e.g. the clocks. Only the lcdproc Load
screen was in some cases never updated during these 5 sec. Consequently the
backlight was turned off by vdr-wakup "firmware", correct?

Well if this is correct I would like to suggest two possible improvements:

a) good documentation:
The fact that vdr-wakeup requires WaitTime=2 (WaitTime=3 seemed to work as
well), i.e. clients that send someting to the LCD need to update the screen
within 3 sec. should be mentioned in the documentation and source. ;-)

b) improvement / generalisation of the code:
I consider that vdr-wakeup requires updates a vdr-wakeup specific thing. So I
would prefere to see a forced full display update (today I recognized
something about that in Frank's lcdproc-0.4.5 patch - I asume that was done
by Frank with the 3 sec. "firmware" in mind).

If this could be considered in the code the doumentation would not been blown
up with "another exeption" for another hardware (my proposal a) would be
somehow obsolate in this case).

In addition this helps using clients that do not know about this vdr-wakup
feature. (It seems that airlcd, the program I intent to use, is one of
those...)

Regards

Bernd