[Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module

  • From: matteo.pillon AT gmail.com (Matteo Pillon)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 14:46:02 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:47:01PM +0100, Bernd Büchs wrote:
> > I think I got the problem...
> > Logging what lcd recives shows escaped 0xC9 on load and the goodbye
> > screens...
> > Do you see "LCDprocand" on the last screen (without spaces)? Between
> > the two words there's 0xC0C9... (With a 20x4 should be "Thanksfor").
> No, my 40x2 LCD shows a clear "LCDproc and Linux!" in the first half of the
> second line.

So, the bug is still unspotted... :-(

> Well, after applying the patch1 (from your additional mail) I see the
> mentioned "LCDprocand". However it seems that I figth with a clear
> reproducability. Further tests showed with patch1:
> 1.) LCDd start, LCDstop -> "LCDproc and"
> 2.) LCDd start, lcdproc, LCDstop -> "LCDprocand Lin.ux!" (I have not killed
> lcdproc!)
> I addition in both cases the backligth went off (LCDd.conf ->
> Backligth=no!).
>
> I start to think that the vdr-wakup hardare has/uses a possiblity to detect
> that LCDproc is running and active?! Is the a special sequence to the
> hardware that can be used - maybe the "LCDproc an Linux!" text?!

Yes, maybe you are right, when the serial port is closed, the board
switches off the backlight... Makes sense ;-)

> The load screen today was displayed fine. (No backligth turn offs and the
> load
> was displayed as "bargraphs". Yesterday it showed blocks and other
> characters. This makes me think that I am loosing track with my settings. I
> plan to start from "scatch" with the nightly CVS version on the weekend

Ok, let us know...

> While I tried to understand the patches I recognised the following
> in "hd44780-serial.h" (line34):
> { "vdr-wakeup", 0xC0, 0xC4, 0xC0, 0xD0, 9600, 4, 0, 0x00, 1, 0xC9,
> 0xC8, 1 }
> I did not find a 0xD0 in the lcdproc-0.4.5 patch that can be found on
> <http://www.jepsennet.de/vdr/html/lcdproc.html>. Would a 0xCF not be
> better?!
> Anyhow I also compiled it with 0xCF but the backligth switches also off
> when
> LCDd is stopped.

No it's correct, Peter chose a way familiar to C programmers to
represent the upper limit (excluded).

> > You're right, it's lcd-dependent, every lcd controller has its own
> > charset, with compatibility to ISO-8859 only for letters, numbers
> > and punctation, so we need a translation table to show the correct
> > symbols on the lcd.
> > Your display should work with the ea_ks0073 charmap (you would notice
> > difference only with letters with umlauts, accents and particular
> > symbols, as ~| ).
> I think I will experiment with that a little. Is there comand line "magic"
> send a text like "üöäÜÖÄ" to the display or is there a client screen e.g.
> in
> lcdproc that displays all characters?

Try with (remember to use a terminal with iso8859-1 encoding):
$ nc localhost 13666 (or telnet localhost 13666)
hello
screen_add test
screen_set test -name test
widget_add test text string