[Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module

  • From: bernd.buechs AT freenet.de (Bernd Büchs)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: lcdproc-0.5.1 and serialized HD44780 on k-data wake-up 2.0 module
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 22:43:01 2007

Am Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2007 16:35 schrieb Matteo Pillon:
> http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/lcdproc-CVS-current.tar.bz2
Thanks, for the link, I think I will give it a try on the weekend...

> I think I got the problem...
> Logging what lcd recives shows escaped 0xC9 on load and the goodbye
> screens...
> Do you see "LCDprocand" on the last screen (without spaces)? Between
> the two words there's 0xC0C9... (With a 20x4 should be "Thanksfor").
No, my 40x2 LCD shows a clear "LCDproc and Linux!" in the first half of the=
=20
second line.

> The attached patch discards every 0xC0C9 (not really useful,
> but can help us spotting the bug, the backlight shouldn't
> switch anymore with backlight=3Dno, but the screen will easly get
> scrambled ;-).
Well, after applying the patch1 (from your additional mail) I see the=20
mentioned "LCDprocand". However it seems that I figth with a clear=20
reproducability. Further tests showed with patch1:
1.) LCDd start, LCDstop -> "LCDproc and"
2.) LCDd start, lcdproc, LCDstop -> "LCDprocand Lin.ux!" (I have not killed=
=20
lcdproc!)
I addition in both cases the backligth went off (LCDd.conf -> Backligth=3Dn=
o!).

I start to think that the vdr-wakup hardare has/uses a possiblity to detect=
=20
that LCDproc is running and active?! Is the a special sequence to the=20
hardware that can be used - maybe the "LCDproc an Linux!" text?!

The load screen today was displayed fine. (No backligth turn offs and the l=
oad=20
was displayed as "bargraphs". Yesterday it showed blocks and other=20
characters. This makes me think that I am loosing track with my settings. I=
=20
plan to start from "scatch" with the nightly CVS version on the weekend

While I tried to understand the patches I recognised the following=20
in "hd44780-serial.h" (line34):
{ "vdr-wakeup", 0xC0, 0xC4, 0xC0, 0xD0, 9600, 4, 0, 0x00, 1, 0xC9,=20
0xC8, 1 }
I did not find a 0xD0 in the lcdproc-0.4.5 patch that can be found on=20
<http://www.jepsennet.de/vdr/html/lcdproc.html>. Would a 0xCF not be better=
?!
Anyhow I also compiled it with 0xCF but the backligth switches also off whe=
n=20
LCDd is stopped.

> You're right, it's lcd-dependent, every lcd controller has its own
> charset, with compatibility to ISO-8859 only for letters, numbers
> and punctation, so we need a translation table to show the correct
> symbols on the lcd.
> Your display should work with the ea_ks0073 charmap (you would notice
> difference only with letters with umlauts, accents and particular
> symbols, as ~| ).
I think I will experiment with that a little. Is there comand line "magic" =
to=20
send a text like "=FC=F6=E4=DC=D6=C4" to the display or is there a client s=
creen e.g. in=20
lcdproc that displays all characters?

> Thanks for your detailed report ;-).
Thanks fot your support!