[Lcdproc] trouble with hd44780

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] trouble with hd44780
  • Date: Sat Nov 11 20:25:02 2006

On 11 Nov 2006 at 14:50, Andrew Yates wrote:

> Someone said the lcd should show a test
> screen if just the power and ground are plugged in, but it doesn't do
> that. I'm using LCDd 0.5.1 and the 2.6.17.6 Linux kernel.

If you power up your display and the contrast is good, you should see
that the first half of the characters is a full block. On a two line
display that is the whole top row. If you do not see this, then the
contrast is wrong. The contrast voltage can differ quite a lot, depending
on the type of display (some even need a negative voltage). Consult the
display's documentation for the correct range for your display.

Once you know the contrast is correct, you can test if the digital wiring
is correct by running LCDd.

Joris
--
Joris Robijn