[Lcdproc] Patch for CW1602 USB, lcdproc 0.5.0

  • From: chense AT vip.hr (Tomislav Secen)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Patch for CW1602 USB, lcdproc 0.5.0
  • Date: Fri Sep 29 10:44:02 2006

Peter Marschall wrote:
> On Thursday, 21. September 2006 16:39, Tomislav Secen wrote:
>> Issues spotted and fixed with the CW1602:
>> -each character has 5x8 pixels (was 6x8)
>> -custom characters are stored on locations 1-8, not 1-16
>> -set_char routine needs to write 8 bytes out, one for each row of the
>> custom character (lcdproc wrote only 6 bytes in the define custom char
>> command - set_char function - which produced the totally garbled state of
>> the LCD screen). -didn't modify the icons (to 5x8 pixels)
>>
>> Was this driver written with 20x4 display in mind?
>
> Thanks for your patch.
> Please don't be disappointed if I do not apply it to CVS.

No problem.

> The reason for it is quite simple:
> The original driver was written for the graphical display CW12232.

Yes, I kinda suspected that.

> Aplying your patches would make the driver unusable for people with
> a CW12232. This is something that I will not do.

Yes, it came to me only later that the CW12232 is completely different
display
... sorry for the confusion.

> Maybe we can come up with a solution that suits both parties:
> owners of a CW12232.and owners of a CW1602.
>
> My idea is something along the lines of the CFontzPacket driver:
> the Model= setting in LCDd.conf tells the model and the driver adapts
> accordingly.

Yes, that would be the way to do it.

As I'm already behind schedule with this project and I will have the hardware
just for the next few days, I don't intend to spend any more time on it,
because
I encountered other issues with lcdproc and CW1602 that I can't solve - the
main
one being that after entering Options menu, and changing the
heartbeat options and/or CwLnx options, in a short while, most (all?) writes
LCD fail, screen becomes garbled. Retrying the failed writes in WriteLCD
routine
doesn't help one bit ...

Maybe later I'll have more time to get to the bottom of this / separate the
hardware definitions in the driver ... does that have any sense, does anybody
even use these small displays?

> AFAICS the only big difference is the definition of characters and the
> cell width.

Yes, and slot numbers for custom characters ...

--
Kind regards,
chense