[Lcdproc] Patch for CW1602 USB, lcdproc 0.5.0

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Patch for CW1602 USB, lcdproc 0.5.0
  • Date: Thu Sep 28 21:20:02 2006

Hi Tomislav,

On Thursday, 21. September 2006 16:39, Tomislav Secen wrote:
> I had some trouble getting CW1602 USB (the USB model with 16x2 chars) to
> work with lcdproc 0.5.0, so after some messing around something came out.
> It still isn't perfect - still bogs/garbles some characters at viscous
> scrolling, but at least works (without these changes all I got was a bunch
> of garbled characters on the screen).
>
> I don't know what is the suggested method of submitting patches, nor if
> this issues were addressed before - so if it isn't or if they were, sorry
> ;).
>
> Issues spotted and fixed with the CW1602:
> -each character has 5x8 pixels (was 6x8)
> -custom characters are stored on locations 1-8, not 1-16
> -set_char routine needs to write 8 bytes out, one for each row of the
> custom character (lcdproc wrote only 6 bytes in the define custom char
> command - set_char function - which produced the totally garbled state of
> the LCD screen). -didn't modify the icons (to 5x8 pixels)
>
> Was this driver written with 20x4 display in mind?
>
> If anybody has any suggestions and/or proposals on how to further improve
> this driver, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your patch.
Please don't be disappointed if I do not apply it to CVS.

The reason for it is quite simple:
The original driver was written for the graphical display CW12232.
Aplying your patches would make the driver unusable for people with
a CW12232. This is something that I will not do.

Maybe we can come up with a solution that suits both parties:
owners of a CW12232.and owners of a CW1602.

My idea is something along the lines of the CFontzPacket driver:
the Model= setting in LCDd.conf tells the model and the driver adapts
accordingly.
AFAICS the only big difference is the definition of characters and the
cell width.

Regards
Peter

--