[Lcdproc] text-entry with lcdproc

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] text-entry with lcdproc
  • Date: Wed Sep 27 18:40:01 2006

On 27 Sep 2006 at 12:52, Crane, Matt wrote:

> We're considering using lcdproc to drive a small character display in an
> embedded linux device. I need to add a text-entry widget. I'm wondering
> if anybodies done this already or if there's any gotchyas or advice? I
> fully support open source and any widget developed would be contributed
> back to the maintainers. Thanks in advance, Matt

We have never done such a thing. I think the problem with it that
everyone wants to do that in a different way and you end up writing a
"universal" thing that does not work and noone uses.

But you can create a menu item for alphanumeric input. Create an
(invisible) item beforehand and when you want it to be visible you can
tell the menu system to show that item. The user can enter characters
with up and down and go forward with Enter. When the user has completed
entry the client will be notified of the new text.

Joris

--
Joris Robijn
<joris AT robijn.net>

// Objects without references are like helium balloons
without wires.