[Lcdproc] Newb with install troubles.

  • From: joeyfrench AT gmail.com (Joey French)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Newb with install troubles.
  • Date: Sun Aug 13 18:43:02 2006

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get a clue and have this up and
running in a sec.

Try running the LCDd server with the parameters -f 1 -r5 -s0
They instruct LCDd to run in the foreground, to set the display level to 5
(
i.e. the max. value) and to show all messages on the console.

$LCDd -f1 -r5 -s0
Server running in foreground
Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
screenlist_init()
driver_load( name="hd44780", filename="/home/joey/lcdproc-0.5.0
/server/drivers/hd44780.so")
Segmentation fault
$

Well, a quick glance at the LCDd manual page (or at the User Guide)
shows that LCDd supports at least 3 wiring schemes for LCDs connected to
the
parallel port (the parameter is called "ConnectionType"):
* 4bit
* 8bit
* winap
Your LCDd.conf states "4bit" although the wiring is definitely a 8-bit
wiring
(i.e. one of the others).
I cannot tell exactly as I do not own a parallel LCD.
Did you try to change it ?

Not until now, I did not know whether it was 4-bit, 8-bit, etc. Thanks for
pointing that out to me.

Did you talk to your vendor about it ?

I did, but they were slow to reply. I will try to email them again and see
if they can give me some clues as well. I must say, this is the first time I
have worked with any lcd, and I am quite lost.

Next possibility for failure: the "Port" setting the [hd44780] section of
LCDd.conf. It tells LCDd the parallel port where the LCD hangs.
Not knowing your system I must guess your port setting is O.K.
I.e. the LCD hangs on the designated port.

I have the lcd connected via Centronics adapter to the parallel port. I have
only one parallel port on my computer and one hd44780 screen connected.
While reading another howto, it's settings suggested this was the correct
setting to use, so that's what I went with. I hope it is correct, but I am
not entirely sure.

Thanks all,
Joey French