[Lcdproc] Newb with install troubles.

  • From: joeyfrench AT gmail.com (Joey French)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Newb with install troubles.
  • Date: Sat Aug 12 19:48:01 2006

Hello all, new to the list. I am using a newly wired HD44780 4X20 lcd on my
Kubuntu 6.06 box. I have tried many approaches to get this up and running.
The display is showing all black boxes on first and third line, all
indicators are that the display is wired correctly.

Install method 1:

$sudo apt-get install lcdproc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
lcdproc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/146kB of archives.
After unpacking 410kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package lcdproc.
(Reading database ... 154736 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lcdproc (from .../lcdproc_0.4.5-1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up lcdproc (0.4.5-1) ...
Starting LCDd CVS-stable-0-4-3-20020127: LCDd.

So far, so good. Then,

$LCDd -d hd44780
LCDd 0.5.0, LCDproc Protocol 0.3
Part of LCDproc
Copyright (C) 1998-2006 William Ferrell, Scott Scriven
and many other contributors

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

The file COPYING contains the GNU General Public License.
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307,
USA.

Could not open driver module hd44780.so: hd44780.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
Driver [hd44780] binding failed
Could not load driver hd44780
There is no output driver
Critical error while initializing, abort.

So, I check /etc/LCDd.conf, and uncomment the hd44780 section.

[server]
# Server section with all kinds of settings for the LCDd server

#Driver=none
#Driver=curses
Driver=HD44780
#Driver=lcdm001
#Driver=MtxOrb
#Driver=CFontz
#Driver=CwLnx
#Driver=Wirz-sli
#Driver=SGX120

...And tried it again...

Could not open driver module hd44780.so: hd44780.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
Driver [hd44780] binding failed
Could not load driver hd44780
There is no output driver
Critical error while initializing, abort.

So, I uninstalled the repository version and downloaded the version from the
lcdproc site.

$sudo apt-get remove lcdproc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
lcdproc
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 410kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 154752 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lcdproc ...
Stopping LCDd CVS-stable-0-4-3-20020127: LCDd.

Downloaded the tar.gz,

./configure --enable drivers=all

as well as

$./configure --enable drivers=curses,hd44780

then

$make
$sudo make install

and moved the LCDd.conf file to /etc

$sudo mv LCDd.conf /etc/

and edited the file to set up hd44780

## Server section with all kinds of settings for the LCDd server ##
[server]

# Tells the server to load the given drivers. Multiple lines can be given.
# The name of the driver is exactly the same as the name of the driver
# module that is to be loaded, including the case of the letters !
# (That is: unless a file= option is given in the driver section)
#Driver=CFontzPacket
Driver=hd44780
#Driver=IOWarrior
#Driver=MtxOrb
#Driver=CFontz633
#Driver=CwLnx
#Driver=glcdlib
#Driver=imon
#Driver=NoritakeVFD
#Driver=serialVFD

I saw in the readme to start the server like this, so:

$ server/LCDd -c /etc/LCDd.conf
$

and then try it again...

$ LCDd -d hd44780
$

..so that looks like it worked at least, but nothing on the screen. So I try
some others:

$ lcdproc C M T
Error connecting to LCD server localhost on port 13666.
Check to see that the server is running and operating normally.
$

So, I have googled and searched gmane for help, but I have no idea what to
do now. I have done all of these steps in various orders many times, and no
joy. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help,
Joey French