[Lcdproc] VL System "serial" VFD, T-balancer and Linux

  • From: bostjan_kravcar AT siol.net (Bostjan Kravcar)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] VL System "serial" VFD, T-balancer and Linux
  • Date: Thu Jul 27 02:01:02 2006

Hello everyone,

I've just joined to this mailing list, I have what I believe are quite exotic
questions that I hope will receive some answers from this mailing list.

I'm looking for a VFD (prefered for being discrete and legible) display to
match with an mCubed T-balancer fan controler, that uses USB connection to
motherboard header. The device is configured in Windows and all settings for
automatic temperature dependant fan control are saved on-board, no OS or
background run SW interface dependency. It's possible to monitor the output
data from T-balancer with various Win based plug-ins, some of them can feed
those informations on LCD/VFD displays. The problem is that supported
displays, either paralel HD44780 based or serial RS232 displays from Matrix
Orbital and Crystalfontz are very expensive options.

The only listed Windows plug-in for USB display and communicates with
T-balancer is written specifically for iMon VFD (expensive for including
useless extras) and there's no decent plug-in, at least to my knowledge, that
would work with other USB displays. In Linux world there's an Xban project
available already, it's written specifically for linking output from
T-balancer to LCD display under Linux, but it uses RS232 and this means I
have to use communication protocol that will work on both sides to have an
output of T-balancer controller on display.

There is an option that might fit all requirements and is half the price of
Crystalfontz and Matrix Orbital - it's a VFD display from VL System - LIS POP
VFD 2x20, which uses HD44780 compatible controller (no informations which
one), but has a serial/paralel converter at input for driving HD44780.

- Is there a Linux driver that would support this type of display ?
- Does a HD44780 based display with input conversion behaves the same as
RS232 displays from Crystalfontz and Matrix Orbital ?
- I found following reference to LCDproc HD44780 driver...

The LCDproc HD44780 driver supports the following connections on a parallel
port:

. 4-bit

. 8-bit (winamp style)

. extended 8-bit (LCD + LED bargraph)

. serial LPT

It also supports the following connections:

. A PIC-an-LCD or LCD serializer connected to a serial port

. A I2C port expander connected to an I2C port

Is any of these two supported connection types, serial LPT or LCD serializer
connected to a serial port refering to display types such as LIS POP VFD as
described above ? In short, will this VFD work with LCDproc AND T-balancer ?**

** A question about LCDproc; does it have the same function as Xban mentioned
above ? Can they be complemented or do they serve a different purpose ? I
apologize if all my questions are out of place, Linux is still just a
wonderful idea to me, until I learn at least some basics - I have no prior
knowledge about operating system.

Thank you in advance for all the help !

Kind regards

Bostjan Kravcar - Sebastian
[...]

  • [Lcdproc] VL System "serial" VFD, T-balancer and Linux, Bostjan Kravcar, 07/27/2006