[Lcdproc] HD44780 serial?

  • From: matteo.pillon AT email.it (Matteo Pillon)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 serial?
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 11:35:02 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 12:40:18PM +0200, Christian Kruft wrote:
> is there a way to connect a HD44780 series LCD to the serial port
> /dev/ttyS0? I would use the microcontroller PIC16F873 (programming in
> assembler) as converter connected to the serial port with a MAX232. In
> docs I found the driver pic-an-lcd for HD44780. Google didn't find much
> information about this module. Does anybody know how it works? I need
> additional information about the data on the serial port, the order and
> timings.

I'm working on an unified serial driver for LCDproc.

It currently supports pic-an-lcd, lcdserializer (a pic-based project,
assembly sources are available) and LoS-panel (currently in
development, with support for backlight switching and keypad, based on
atmel avr, this is the best interface available).

You'll find references to these interfaces, details about the
driver, as well as patches, here:
http://wiki.ilc.pd.it/ilc_wiki/LcdprocSerial

I wrote some documentation on lcdserializer (support is included in
lcdproc-0.5), but it's not available on the website, you can find it
in the docs directory of the source tree. (Peter, why it's not on the
website? A lot of drivers lack documentation on
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-user-html/).

Bye.

--
* Pillon Matteo