[Lcdproc] LCD drivers for ARM EP930x series processors

  • From: mjona AT lkb.ens.fr (Mattia Jona-Lasinio)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCD drivers for ARM EP930x series processors
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 09:36:01 2006

Hi all,

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Peter Marschall wrote:

> There are currently a few other drivers as well that require running the
> LCDd
> server as root. So, I guess, this does not hurt very much.
>
> On the other hand, IMHO requiring a kernel module is sub-optimal as it
> requires the user to either re-compile the module when a new kernel comes
> out
> (maybe even pre-compiled from his distribution).
> And in case of driver API changes in the kernel this forces the module to be
> updated whenever such a change occurs.

the spirit of a kernel module is to provide an independent layer between
real hardware (the display) and the software that uses it (LCDproc or
whatever else). A kernel module to drive LCD displays is, IMHO, the best
choice as it allows application to concentrate on the display content
(what has to be shown) instead of the display driving problems (timings,
wiring schemes....). Moreover each application has to do EXACTLY the same
work to drive a display, requiring the same problem to be solved again and
again. On the contrary, if the driving problem is solved once for all with
a kernel module, all applications access the LCD via a char device in the
same way as, for instance, any application accesses the line printer. I
don't think it would be a good idea to embed a printer driver in every
application with printing needs....
And last but not the least, API changes in the kernel are far less
probable than API changes in user applications.

Greetings to all!

Mattia