[Lcdproc] 2 line BIGNUM display on HD47780

  • From: herdler AT gmx.de (Stefan Herdler)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] 2 line BIGNUM display on HD47780
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 16:31:01 2006

Robin Gilks wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I know that the current implementation of BIGNUM on the HD47780 display
> requires at least 4 lines, I wondered if anyone had done it on a two line
> display using the 8 available user defined characters.

I've done it about 3 or 3 month ago, the patch against lcdproc 0.5.0 is
somewhere in the mailinglist (there is a picture of the display too).
The threat is named: "big numbers on hd44780 cvs". Unfortunately it is
NOT compatible with the recent CVS-version anymore.
The Feature had been included in the serialVFD and the
crystalFontzPacket driver so far. I'll include it into the HD47780
driver, as soon I have the time to do it and nobody else has done it
before. I'm also planing to fix the lcdproc-client for the use on ?x16
and ?x12 displays.
> I've whipped up two character sets (on paper only so far), one that is one
> char wide and 2 lines tall and the other 2 chars wide and 2 lines tall.

The Characters are stored in advbignum.c now. They are 2 lines high, 3
characters wide and compatible with bigclock of t the lcdproc-client.
(All big numbers have to be 3 characters wide!)
> I'm mostly trying for a clock I can read across the room (funny how the
> eyes start to fade after over half a century!), so I'm only looking for
> 0-9 and a seperator of some sort (colon or whatever).
>
> If someone has already got this wheel, I won't reinvent, it but if there
> is nothing available in anyones patch library then I'll implement the two
> ideas I have to see which is the more readable.
>
> Cheers for now...

Cheers,
Stefan