[Lcdproc] 0.5.0 keypad on hd47780

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] 0.5.0 keypad on hd47780
  • Date: Sat Jun 10 12:15:01 2006

On 10 Jun 2006 at 0:02, Robin Gilks wrote:

> I *thought* that setting the following:
> KeyMatrix_4_1=A
> KeyMatrix_4_2=B
> KeyMatrix_4_3=C
> KeyMatrix_4_4=D
> KeyMatrix_4_5=L
> KeyMatrix_4_6=Q
>
> would do the trick but nope!

Hmm it should have... If you increase the debug level, do you see more
messages about the keys ? Can you debug it ?

> The default config file has the following commands in it:
> KeyMatrix_4_1=Enter
> KeyMatrix_4_2=Up
> KeyMatrix_4_3=Down
> KeyMatrix_4_4=Escape
>

> When I press (what was) the 'A' key, I get a 'HOLD' or 'ROTATE' appear in
> the bottom right of the display. I guess that is something to do with the
> default lines:
> ToggleRotateKey=Enter
> PrevScreenKey=Left
> NextScreenKey=Right

Indeed this tells the LCDd server to respond to these key events. You may
be able to give empty strings ("") or otherwise non exitant keynames to
prevent this behaviour.

> so that Enter is getting mapped a second time to ToggleRotate - even
> though I have the serverscreen turned off! (mind boggles...). Should these
> lines really be in the [server] section of the config file? They look like
> menu stuff to me.

These keys are not actually reserved. Your client can still reserve them
and receive them. If these keys are leftovers (no client has reserved
them) they will be used for rotating. We've thought of using them for
scrolling too.

> The questions really are:
> 1. Are the matrix key maps numbered 1... or 0... for each coord?
> 2. Do I still have the use the Free...Key commands, if so how are they
> labeled now?

I don't find them in the source.

> 3. What is the relevance of the ToggleRotate et al keys if the
> serverscreen is off?

Well it toggles rotation ;) If you have multiple screens they will by
default rotate.

> 5. Are there two levels of indirection to get back to the original 0.4.5
> single letter keypad return values?

No. The drivers generate a key event, which is configurable per driver.
The clients (and the server itself) respond to given key events. The keys
to which the server responds are configurable.

> 6. Does LCDd still send stuff to an external client the same way or has
> the protocol all changed like the screen priorities did?

You should reserve keys in shared mode if you do it properly. And you can
reserve "hot keys" (that should always only go to your app, also if
invisible) in exclusive mode.
We have thought of returning leftover keys to the currently visible
client, but that is currently not the case. It would be convenient for
keyboard input, where you don't want to reserve all keys. The internal
menu client can already use leftover keys.

Another difference is the heartbeat setting, things around scrolling
widgets etc, bars and some things in the icon area. Of course the client
supplied menus are new. Every of these things is documented.

Joris
--
Joris Robijn
<joris AT robijn.net>