[Lcdproc] IRTrans with LCD Proc

  • From: herdler AT gmx.de (Stefan Herdler)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] IRTrans with LCD Proc
  • Date: Thu May 25 16:09:01 2006

Hi,
Joe Plunkett wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for the noise on what I assume is in some way shape or form a silly question.

I just picked up one of the zalman HD160's for my HTPC & it comes with one of the Origin VFD's http://www.origenae.com/product_vfd.htm -- this is apparently a device made by irtrans -- and they provide some software at http://www.irtrans.de/en/download/linux.php which appears to be based around lcdproc version 0.4.3
Afaik has the official 0.4.3 version no irtrans driver included.
-- which is all well and good except for whatever reason on my FC5 box running kernel version 2.6.16 the silly thing segfaults on me whenever I try and run LCDd...
Are you sure the segfaults are from by LCDd? It looks like that the irtrans driver is the hardware dependent part.

So, I sucked down LCD proc 0.5.0 -- but lo and behold there is no irtrans driver, but there claimed to be an lirc driver (which I was hoping would work since the irtrans server thing is apparently an lircd daemon replacement -- however a configure --enable-driver=lirc
The lirc-driver is a input driver, that passes data received by lircd to the lcdproc-clients. I think you're looking for a output driver.

has some error about no driver being found and although there is a .c and a .h file for lircthere is no method for making any of that jazz in the make files...

The end-all question here really is, has/is anyone using lcdproc 0.5 with this VFD ?
I've seen the Origenae-cases, they would be great for my VDR, but due to financial reasons I don't own one of it.
What do I need to do to make it go?
You have to port the driver to the new driver-API.
It is not as much work as it sounds, the driver is a very simple one.
I can make a prototype, if you like. Debugging and the documentation will be your part.
Absent any response I will probably rebuild 0.4.3 tonight and fire up old gdb & try and fix the seg fault, but I would prefer to use the more "modern" software if possible (esp. if support is there but I'm just being boneheaded).

Thanks in advance.

~joe

Stefan