[Lcdproc] Handy like input method.

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Handy like input method.
  • Date: Wed May 10 19:19:02 2006

On 9 May 2006 at 16:53, Marcus Priesch wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> thanks, i know the input methods - but lcdproc is so modular that you
> even could attach an alphanumeric keypad - at least with the h44780
> driver you have the possibility to connect up to 11x5 == 55 keys -
> which
> should definitely be enough for 10 digits and 26 alpha's ;-)

The phone keypad idea sounds very neat !

> so the question from my point is rather where to put the magic
> "multi-function code" inside lcdproc ...
>
> i see the following problems:
>
> a) in the config file you must define somehow the various "keys"
> generated by this key - e.g. KeyMatrix_1_2=2|A|B|C

Everyone wants to use a different custom keypad... But the thing in
common with them in your idea is that they all have 0..9. So maybe the
server should handle these 0..9 when a special feature is enabled. It
should decide: ah I've seen 3 time a 2, so I should generate a C
character. But the user wants to see the A and B too when he pressed 1
and 2 times, so it is tricky. If you want it displayed inline, the menu
system should understand this too...

Or the client should not know about it... You can do it with the bottom-
right messages I added... You can place the character there, like:
num: A
num: B
and when the timeout has expired, you re-insert the generated keycode
into the key-handling system as usual, and only then the client recieves
it. (which may be the internal menu client).

> b) when using numerical input you have to ignore the "other" keys

Yes, the easiest is to do this in the server core... Or the client should
also know how to handle 1, 2 and 3, 4 times the 2 key. And then it is
code duplication.

> c) when using alphanumerical input you have to
> - display the currently selected digit
> - switch to the next digit on a successive keypress
> - when the timeout expires (or another key gets pressed) you
> have to jump to the next character

Server can do this easily.

> who decides if a) is the correct notation ? - or should i go ahead
> with it and post the patch if i'm ready ???
>
> is there a desgin discussion (based on irc?) about such enhancements ?

It's over here :)
Patches with code attempts are welcome and when the time comes it can be
put in CVS.

> btw: wasnt there an "input" widget in the 0.4.x release ?? - i cant
> find
> the developer doc - the link on the lcdproc page is broken ... :(

Never heard of that. I stepped in at 0.4pre9 (before 0.4)

> btw2: the keypad is part of the inca-ip evaluation board you can get
> from infineon ;) - and its 28 keys in total ... ;)

Ah cool should be handleable...

Joris

--
Joris Robijn