[Lcdproc] Why aren't the drivers being made?

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Why aren't the drivers being made?
  • Date: Fri May 5 17:14:01 2006

Hi Ethan,

On Friday, 5. May 2006 06:04, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On 5/5/06, Peter Marschall
> <peter AT adpm.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > I am the current maintainer and I formally converted the MtxOrb driver
> > from the LCDproc 0.4 API to the 0.5 API.
> > Not owning the hardware and without the help of a maintainer this was the
> > only alternative to completely dropping MtxOrb support in LCDproc 0.5.
>
> Ah... this might explain the differences _I_ am seeing with my Matrix
> Orbital VKD204-25 (4x20 VFD w/keyboard interface) between 0.4.x and 0.5..
>
> Specifically... under 0.4.x, the top line used fully-filled-in blocks
> around the title. Under 0.5.0, I see pound signs ("#"). Also, BigNum
> support seems not to work - 'lcdproc K' gives me a blank screen, not big
> numbers.
>
> My hardware doesn't have a backlight, or I'd test it and fix it myself. As
> for "owning the hardware", Peter, do you happen to have a
> serial-interfaced PalmPilot
> like a Palm III or Palm V? In the absense of a real Matrix Orbital
> display, you might try PalmOrb. No guarantees that it's 100% bug-for-bug
> compatible, but I would think it'd be a good place to start (I do have a
> PalmPilot, but it's at home,
> 12,000 miles from where I am).

Please do not understand me wrong, but I do not really want to code all
drivers myself. It does not give me "satisfaction" to write drivers just for
its own sake.
I own 3 different types of LCDs for which I keep the drivers updated,
but I do not want to write all drivers myself.

This does not mean that I am totally unwilling to write any driver (the
updates for 0.5 prove that), but after the work necessary to bring 0.5.0 to a
releasable state and to release it (about 3 full weeks of writing code and
documentation that nobody seemed to have cared for in the last two years),
I need a break.

LCDproc is an community driven project where anybody is invited to contribute.

I am only the maintainer of LCDproc i.e. I check in patches for people
without CVS access, cut new relases, help on the ML, ...

> I am certainly available to assist with hardware verification with at
> least my VKD204.
> At some point in the not-to-distant future, I should have some
> parallel-interfaced
> 44780-based displays wired up, but with this nice VFD in front of me,
> I find that it's
> great for writing clients (I have several in Perl here - the newest
> uses the Katakana
> character set to rotate through a list of Japanese vocabulary words).
>
> I was also contemplating as a project, using an Atmel ATtiny2313
> microcontroller as an LCD serializer for a bog standard 4x20 and perhaps a
> 4x40 LCD display. I _was_ contemplating programming it for the Matrix
> Orbital command set, but perhaps
> there is a different serial command set that might make more sense?
> I'd rather not
> invent one from scratch - no point in having to create yet _another_
> driver. Might
> as well use an existing one.

CU
Peter

PS: I do not know if m,ay words above sound harsh to a native speaker.
They were not meant to do so. If they do they are a result of not being
a native english speaker, with only a limited vocabulary.

--
Peter Marschall
peter AT adpm.de