[Lcdproc] Why aren't the drivers being made?

  • From: ethan.dicks AT gmail.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Why aren't the drivers being made?
  • Date: Fri May 5 04:06:01 2006

On 5/5/06, Peter Marschall
<peter AT adpm.de>
wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I am the current maintainer and I formally converted the MtxOrb driver fr=
om
> the LCDproc 0.4 API to the 0.5 API.
> Not owning the hardware and without the help of a maintainer this was the=
only
> alternative to completely dropping MtxOrb support in LCDproc 0.5.

Ah... this might explain the differences _I_ am seeing with my Matrix Orbit=
al
VKD204-25 (4x20 VFD w/keyboard interface) between 0.4.x and 0.5..

Specifically... under 0.4.x, the top line used fully-filled-in blocks aroun=
d the
title. Under 0.5.0, I see pound signs ("#"). Also, BigNum support seems no=
to work - 'lcdproc K' gives me a blank screen, not big numbers.

My hardware doesn't have a backlight, or I'd test it and fix it myself. As=
for
"owning the hardware", Peter, do you happen to have a
serial-interfaced PalmPilot
like a Palm III or Palm V? In the absense of a real Matrix Orbital display=
, you
might try PalmOrb. No guarantees that it's 100% bug-for-bug compatible, bu=
I would think it'd be a good place to start (I do have a PalmPilot,
but it's at home,
12,000 miles from where I am).

I am certainly available to assist with hardware verification with at
least my VKD204.
At some point in the not-to-distant future, I should have some
parallel-interfaced
44780-based displays wired up, but with this nice VFD in front of me,
I find that it's
great for writing clients (I have several in Perl here - the newest
uses the Katakana
character set to rotate through a list of Japanese vocabulary words).

I was also contemplating as a project, using an Atmel ATtiny2313 microcontr=
oller
as an LCD serializer for a bog standard 4x20 and perhaps a 4x40 LCD display=
. I
_was_ contemplating programming it for the Matrix Orbital command set,
but perhaps
there is a different serial command set that might make more sense?=20
I'd rather not
invent one from scratch - no point in having to create yet _another_
driver. Might
as well use an existing one.

-ethan