[Lcdproc] install problem

  • From: bmendis AT innovetech.com (Ben A. Mendis)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] install problem
  • Date: Tue May 2 22:09:01 2006

Jason Miller wrote:

> Yes, I am a n00b and I can't get lcdproc to work.
> First I tried v0.5.0 but server/LCDd wouldn't run. It complains it could
> not open driver module server/drivers/hd44780.so because it's not there.

Hi,

I've been messing with Lcdproc this afternoon..

Finally, got 'er working thanks to the help on this list.

Anyway, with v0.5.0; copy LCDd.conf to /etc and edit it. There is line in there that points to where your drivers are located.

the LCDd.conf is pointing to the correct directory, but the .so file for the hd44780 driver never seems to be built. I haven't figured out why but the file just doesn't exist. I've run ./configure and make about 20 times with different options and it never works. always the same problem. If someone has a hd44780.so that works I'd love to give that a shot.

I made a directory for the drivers, /usr/lib/lcdproc and then just copied all the *.so files from ~./server/driver into it. LCDd worked fine from there.

I couldn't get the backlight to work with v0.5.0 (Matrix Orbital 20x4) even though LCDd.conf was config'd for it to run. Took out v0.5.0 and compiled v0.4.5 and its now working great with the backlight.

>From what I have gathered, and I'm probably wrong, but you only need to do the "drivers -all" thing with make with v0.4.5 as it actually builds them into the LCDd executable. (?)

Keep at it, you'll get there. I didn't think I would, but thanks to the help here, its working! :)

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman9/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com/> for just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.