[Lcdproc] Medion MD8800 LCD display.

  • From: Dave Liquorice" <allsorts AT howhill.com (Dave Liquorice)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Medion MD8800 LCD display.
  • Date: Sat Apr 29 22:06:04 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 2:14:04 +0200, Martin Moeller wrote:

> Afterwards, I can again echo to ttyS1 and I now have two lines. The
> minute I write the 33rd character the display is reset and the 33rd
> character is at the top of an otherwise blank LCD.

This is what I'd expect the cursor just moves to next place and warps
around from end to begining. Display clearing on wrap around may or may
not be configurable.

> Can you give me any pointers as to what else to try to get the right
> parameters for my LCD?

Take a butchers at the hardware and see if you can work out the
controller ICs number, or any identifying numbers for the module. Though
with five dedicated icons it's quite likley to be a propritary display,
this may make getting a datasheet for it from the web tricky. Try the
computer makers?

Once you have the datasheet it should be fairly easy to "adjust" one of
the existing drivers to talk properly to the display.

> If I can get some needed data on Windows via a sniffer of some sort,
> I'm open to that as well.

I'd look at finding numbers and websearing first, bit easier than real
reverse engineering. B-)

Cheers
Dave.