[Lcdproc] LCDd start

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCDd start
  • Date: Sat Mar 18 16:27:01 2006

Hi,

On Friday, 17. March 2006 00:30, Marc Leesch wrote:
> I want LCDd and lcdproc to start automatically at system start. After
> installing LCDd I found a start script for LCDd in /etc/init.d. But LCDd
> starts only in root-modus. So when I run my computer as user no LCDd is
> running. Is there a possibility to get it started as user? And how must
> a lcdproc-startscript look like?

It looks like you are not familiar with the concept of Linux being a multi
user system and its boot process (derived from Unix System V)

There is no such thing as "run my computer as user". The computer always
starts up and executes its boot process as root before a user can login.

The files in /etc/init.d/ are refernced by soft links in the runlevel config
directories /etc/rc[0-6].d, where each directory rcX.d is used for the
corresponding runlevel X.

The softlinks in the rc*d/ directories are named
* S[0-9][0-9]LCDd for startup scripts
* K[0-9][0-9]LCDd for kill or stop scripts
When entering a runlevel the startup scripts of that runlevel are called with
the parameter 'start' and the kill scripts are called wit the parameters
'stop'.
This has the effect that the daemons you want to have started for the run
level are started while the run levels you do not want to have started are
stopped (if they where running previously)

All this happens at all boot time, when switching between run levels and at
system shutdown time. In all cases the scripts are executed as root.

So if you install the startup / stop scripts into the correct runlevel
directory (most probably rc5.d) you will have LCDd and lcdproc (wforcwhich
you will of course also need start stop scripts) autmatically be started at
system startup.

Since there are subtle differences in the paths for the start/stop scripts and
different stat/stop script editors for the various Linux distros I cannot go
into more detail.
Please consult the documentation of your Linux distro for further information.

CU
PEter
--
Peter Marschall