[Lcdproc] Error message while entering IP address

  • From: boercher AT web.de (Volker Boerchers)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Error message while entering IP address
  • Date: Wed Nov 30 08:07:02 2005

Hi Silvan,

> I've a problem using LCDproc 0.5's (CVS) menu item for entering IP
> addresses.
> The problems occurs in a small application I've written.
>
> I developed it on a Debian/Sarge linux box and it worked just fine. But
> when
> I tested it on a freshly installed SuSE 9.3, the following problem showed
> up:
>
> If I enter 192.168.002.158, and press enter at the rightmost character,
> then
> LCDd gives the following message:
>
> menuitem_process_input_ip(id="CHIP") ip address not verified
>
> When using the curses driver, I can see "Invalid Address" below the entered
> IP.
>
> On the Debian Sarge, I used automake 1.7 and gcc 3.3.5. On the SuSE 9.3 I
> have automake 1.9 and gcc 3.3.5 as well.

Recently I had the same problem (on Debian Sarge). If your problem is
the same the log should contain a line "ip address not
verified:...". I added this warning message one month ago.

I solved this problem locally by commenting out the verification code
in server/menuitem.c: comment out the whole if-else block (around line
400) beginning with

if (ipinfo->verify(value)) {

You could do the same, but it would be great if you could trace this
issue and maybe provide a solution.

Honestly I'm not sure if we really need this verification at all since
if it fails you cannot leave the item anymore. I think the
verification can be delayed until the address is actually used,
i.e. the action that uses the data like ifconfig could do it.

Regards,
Volker