[Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS

  • From: dura-zell AT dynamik.sytes.net (Sven Mertens)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS
  • Date: Sat Mar 19 18:58:02 2005

Hi again

I uncommented the line and recompiled but it didn't worked. This time
there were no hearts but halfblocks as mentioned yesterday. I also tried
several different values for uPause, starting with 10 and finnishing
with 500. By the way: Is there a way to speed up hte compile-process?

Greetings,
Sven Mertens

Andrés Trapanotto schrieb:

> Ooops...
> Try this please: go to the server/drivers/timing.h and uncomment the
> line
> #define DELAY_GETTIMEOFDAY
>
> then tell me what happen...
> Good luck!
>
> Sven Mertens wrote:
>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> As you told me, I replaced the '40' with '80' and compiled. The daemon
>> started up with the screwed up display. As I tested a program from an
>> other lcd-project before, this time there were half-blocks. I mean a
>> char where the upper half is blank and the lower half is "on".
>>
>> To be sure this is not an effect of the change I made, I killed the
>> 0.5.cvs and started up the 0.4.5. After starting 0.5.cvs there were
>> the hearts again.
>>
>> After that I tried different values for uPause. I started with '10'
>> and finnished with 1000. After each change I did a "make clean",
>> "configure" and "make". But, as far as I could see the only thing that
>> changed was the value in hd44780.c, at the display changed nothing.
>>
>> After I spent nearly the whole last weekend working through the code,
>> at Tuesday wanted to give up this nifty lcd. I didn't because I think
>> there may be a solution to my problem... At the weekend I've made some
>> experiments with delays too, but none worked.
>>
>> So, thats what I can tell you.
>>
>> Greetings, Sven
>>

>> Andrés Trapanotto schrieb:
>>
>>> [I've removed everything from previous mails. Please refer to the
>>> archive about them]
>>> Well, I'll try to start answering again; from the scratch.
>>>
>>> I'll suppose that when you turns on the LCD the LCD ram memory is
>>> filled with 0x00 values. Then, the char generator shows the screen
>>> clean; because it is representing the zero character that is clean too.
>>>
>>> When you start lcdproc, it fills the lcd text buffer with 0x20
>>> (spaces) *** and set the special caracter zero as the heart. It
>>> results in a clean lcd screen.
>>>
>>> *** Think about this: if there is some problem filling the lcd
>>> text buffer, it still be filled with 0x00 values and the screen will
>>> be fullfilled with hearts...
>>> I'm thinking that it is the problem, because the lcdproc
>>> framebuffer is filled with 0x20 spaces (you send a mail showing that).
>>> One common issue that can cause that is the delay time that the
>>> program have to wait to drive the parallel port signals. To do it,
>>> lcdproc uses a function called timing_uPause (you can find it in
>>> server/drivers/timing.h) and it can be compiled in three diferent
>>> ways. It can try to use one of these or you can force lcdproc the
>>> election process :)
>>>
>>> I can continue analizing it in this way, but you can try something
>>> quicker: try to add some delay in HD44780_flush() function (in
>>> server/drivers/hd44780.c) changing
>>> p->hd44780_functions->uPause (p, 40); // Minimun exec time for all
>>> commands

--

http://www.dynamik.sytes.net
http://dura.dynamik.sytes.net