[Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS

  • From: dura-zell AT dynamik.sytes.net (Sven Mertens)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS
  • Date: Wed Mar 9 20:13:02 2005

Andrés Trapanotto schrieb:
> Sven Mertens escribió:
>
>> Andrés Trapanotto schrieb:

>>> Well, in first I think that you need to reconfigure the following
>>> line
>>> # display size [default: 20x4]
>>> #size=20x4

>>> size=18x4
>>>
>>> or the right value instead.
>>>
>>> tell me what happens, ok?
>>>

>> Hi there.
>>
>> I tried the following settings with the following results:
>>
>> size=18x4:
>> The Display gets no longer flooded with hearts, it gets flodded with
>> solid blocks instead. The daemon uses only 18 chars per line as expected.
>>
>> size=4x18:
>> As expected, the daemon uses the specified displaysize but still
>> flodds the dsiplay with hearts
>>
>> size=20x2:
>> The whole display flodds with these hearts despite of my settings. As
>> far as I can see the daemon only uses the first two lines to show
>> content but floods the whole display.
>>
>> size=18x2:
>> Same results as with "size=20x2" but with solid blocks instead of
>> hearts again.
>>

>> While trying to get this running I've already tried to reduce the
>> displaysettings but never experimented with this particular size. I
>> didn't got any results while trying the standardsizes for the
>> linewidth (8,16,20,24) or the linecount (1,2,4,8).
>> Have you any idea what is wrong here?
>> I've just counted the "blocks" on the display, there are exactly 20
>> "Blocks" or chars on the display.
>>
>> And again: Sorry for my bad english
>>
>> Greetings, Sven
>

> Well, I was looking the code and I think that the problem is that it
> is "clearing" the buffer with zero values
> hd44780.c: Line 240:
> memset(p->lcd_contents, 0, p->width * p->height);
>
> then, lcdproc sets the zero character to be a heart and the caracter
> generator show you a heart in every hole...
>
> You can try changing the above line in this way:
> hd44780.c: Line 240 (MODIFIED):
> memset(p->lcd_contents, ' ', p->width * p->height);
>
> So, the buffer will fills with spaces ascii=0x20 instead ascii=0x00
>
> Change this, recompile, test and tell us your experience.
>
> (Mantaining the right size=18x4 configuration)

Hi!

Thanks for your reply again. And sorry for the late answer.
I changed line 240, changed back to the lcdproc root directory and did a

make clean && ./configure --enable-drivers=hd44780,curses && make

Lcdproc configured and compiled without any complainments.

When the daemon was started, first the display was filled up with the
wellknown hearts. In the second line I could "T 378" from the
portsetting message.
After two seconds the damoen initialized the serverscreen. Now I could
see the "LCDProc Server" message in the first line, scrolling left and
right. In the second line I could see "Clients: 0". The remaining parts
of the the display were filled up with the hearts. Now, with every
screenupdate, the display fills up with solid white blocks. Killing and
starting the daemon again brought the same results.

After that I tried typing the commands for cleaning, configuring and
compiling one for one and didn't get another result. I even tried
compiling with another character rather than ' '. I set 'x' in the line
wich you specified to see if this changes something, but without any
changes in the result. (I've set the char back to ' ' after this
experiment.) So I verified again (the third time ;) ) that I modified
the right file, in the right directory at the right line (240).

Sorry to say your suggestion did not work. Is it possible that there is
more than one line wich cleares the display/buffer? This would explain
the fact that there are the hearts first and than the blocks.

Greetings, Sven Mertens