[Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS

  • From: mail AT andrestrapanotto.com.ar (Andrés Trapanotto)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS
  • Date: Wed Mar 9 16:33:01 2005

Sven Mertens escribió:

> Andrés Trapanotto schrieb:
>
>> Sven Mertens escribió:

>>> Hi, thanks for your reply.
>>>
>>> I've tried with ExtendedMode=yes and ExtendedMode=no without getting
>>> things to work. The only difference i can see is that some lines
>>> seem to be "swapped" when setting ExtendedMode=yes. At the moment I
>>> have ExtendedMode=no, since this seems to give me the right
>>> placement on the display lines. But the "heartflood" still remains,
>>> the ExtendeMode-setting makes no difference at this.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I've tested different BIOS-settings for the LPT, without
>>> any result.
>>>
>>> Any more hints?
>>>
>> Well, in first I think that you need to reconfigure the following
>> line
>> # display size [default: 20x4]
>> #size=20x4

>> size=18x4
>>
>> or the right value instead.
>>
>> tell me what happens, ok?
>>

> Hi there.
>
> I tried the following settings with the following results:
>
> size=18x4:
> The Display gets no longer flooded with hearts, it gets flodded with
> solid blocks instead. The daemon uses only 18 chars per line as expected.
>
> size=4x18:
> As expected, the daemon uses the specified displaysize but still
> flodds the dsiplay with hearts
>
> size=20x2:
> The whole display flodds with these hearts despite of my settings. As
> far as I can see the daemon only uses the first two lines to show
> content but floods the whole display.
>
> size=18x2:
> Same results as with "size=20x2" but with solid blocks instead of
> hearts again.
>

> While trying to get this running I've already tried to reduce the
> displaysettings but never experimented with this particular size. I
> didn't got any results while trying the standardsizes for the
> linewidth (8,16,20,24) or the linecount (1,2,4,8).
> Have you any idea what is wrong here?
> I've just counted the "blocks" on the display, there are exactly 20
> "Blocks" or chars on the display.
>
> And again: Sorry for my bad english
>
> Greetings, Sven

Well, I was looking the code and I think that the problem is that it
is "clearing" the buffer with zero values
hd44780.c: Line 240:
memset(p->lcd_contents, 0, p->width * p->height);

then, lcdproc sets the zero character to be a heart and the caracter
generator show you a heart in every hole...

You can try changing the above line in this way:
hd44780.c: Line 240 (MODIFIED):
memset(p->lcd_contents, ' ', p->width * p->height);

So, the buffer will fills with spaces ascii=0x20 instead ascii=0x00

Change this, recompile, test and tell us your experience.

(Mantaining the right size=18x4 configuration)

--
Técnico Andrés Trapanotto
INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE TECNOLOGÍA INDUSTRIAL