[Lcdproc] for to make hard disk recorder

  • From: dinobry AT comcast.net (B Collins)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] for to make hard disk recorder
  • Date: Tue Mar 8 21:50:02 2005

Much excitement here. I am not an extremely knowledeable Linux
user, but have some exposure. I am probably a little more of a hardware
person. Your application seems to fill the needs of a specific project
I have been fancying for a while. Here it is:

Tiny Mini-ITX computer, Knoppix hard drive install, ecasound install, no
monitor, laptop hard drive as hard disk recorder, and not much else,
using lcd as text-only command prompt for to run Ecasound>Lame for high
quality MP3 recordings of official events (for work.) The LCDProc page
gives an lcd client that should allow me to login and at least type in
names of scripts. I would want to load this client in initialization
and have a few simple scripts for recording.

Does this sound reasonable?

I think Ecasound uses Curses. Is this going to cause any issues? Will
I need to manually load curses or ncurses after starting?

And finally, I have nearly finished the computer, and want to get going
right away. I notice that both Crystalfontz and CWLinux offer what
appears to be a direct "plug and play solution". What will be simplest,
with the least hardware or software configuration? Maybe I will try
assembling the lcd myself forther down the road, but for the first one I
want to get up and running with as little effort or time as possible.

Much apologies too. I inadvertently sent this from my other address a
minute ago. I don't mean to spam.

Cheers, bc