[Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS

  • From: dura-zell AT dynamik.sytes.net (Sven Mertens)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780-winamp gets overflooded with Hearts after upgrading to CVS
  • Date: Tue Mar 8 07:43:01 2005

Hi there.

I was using LCDproc 0.4.5 and had to upgrade to CVS 0.5 because the old
version was freezing my machine. (See below).

Now, after downloading and compiling I'm getting into trouble getting
LCDd running. LCDproc configures and compiles without any complainments.
After starting the daemon my LCD looks like this:

--------------------
|♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥|
|♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥|
|♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 378 |
|♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥|
--------------------

(♥ = Heart Character)

After one or two seconds it changes to

--------------------
|♥♥LCDProc Server♥♥|
|♥♥00♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥|
|♥♥ ♥♥ ♥♥♥♥Clients:|
|♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥|
--------------------

(♥ = Heart Character)

Now, every second there are more hearts on the screen, until the LCD is
fully flooded with them and the display shows nothing else.

Finally, when I kill the daemonprocess, I'm getting to this:

--------------------
| ♥ |
|usi ♥♥♥ ♥ ♥♥♥ ♥ |
|♥♥♥ ♥ ♥♥♥ Thanks|
|♥♥♥ ♥ ♥♥♥ ♥ ♥♥|
--------------------

(♥ = Heart Character)

If you can't read these drawings, I will make a picture and post it.

The heart-character mentioned above shows up as a solid Block with a
lined heart. It looks like beeing part of the hearbeat wich should be
in the top-right corner of the display.

I've tried several options in the configfile /etc/LCDd.conf including
(but not only) vspan, ExtendedMode, DelayMult, DelayBus, LastLine,
ConnectionType and the portsettings. I also tried to change the BIOS
settings. I even tried to activate the switchable backlight wich I do
not have and to use a different driver.

I also tried different Versions, first I was using CVS to get the
sources, after getting the above metioned garbage I tried the tarball
with the same results.

The patterns I'm getting are the same every time I start the daemon.
They are only changing when I'm changing settings in the .conf File, but
every time something like above.

So now I'm stuck with this display.

Since the display works fine with Windows and was working with 0.4.5 I
think I can exclude Wiring-Errors, incorrect soldering connections and,
in my opionion, low voltage problems too. (I didn't change the hardware.)

Now I have read all the hd44780 and/or heart(beat) related postings up
to the year 2002 and don't know what else to do. So has anyone a hint
for me what to do to find this error or where to look? The only thing
I'm sure is the port-setting wich I have explicit specified in the BIOS
setting. Maybe one can tell me this is a known error/issue in LCDproc or
with my hardware and has a workaround for this?

Here's what I am using:

HD44780 compatible Display, Winamp Wiring
(At the back there are two KS0063 and one KS0066U)
No switchable backlight, no keypad

SuSE 8.2 (Kernel 2.4.20-4GB)
Celeron 633 Mhz
Intel Chipset (don't know exactly wich one, will look if needed)
This is what LCDd does when I start it:

server:/compile/lcdproc_cvs2/server # ./LCDd
LCDd version CVS-current-20050307 starting
Built on Mar 7 2005, protocol version 0.3, API version 0.5
Using Configuration File: /etc/LCDd.conf
Set report level to 4, output to stderr
LCDd CVS-current-20050307, LCDproc Protocol 0.3
Part of LCDproc
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 William Ferrell, Scott Scriven
and many other contributors

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

The file COPYING contains the GNU General Public License.
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

Server running in foreground
Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
Key "Menu" is now reserved in exclusive mode by client [-1]
Key "Enter" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
Key "Up" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
Key "Down" is now reserved in shared mode by client [-1]
screenlist_switch: switched to screen [_server_screen]

This is my LCDd.conf (comments removed)

# LCDd.conf
[server]

#Driver=curses
Driver=hd44780
#Driver=IOWarrior
#Driver=MtxOrb
#Driver=CFontz633
#Driver=CwLnx

Bind=127.0.0.1
Port=13666

ReportLevel=4
ReportToSyslog=no

WaitTime=12

User=nobody

ServerScreen=no

Foreground=yes

DriverPath=drivers/

#default keys
#ToggleRotateKey=Enter
#PrevScreenKey=Left
#NextScreenKey=Right
#ScrollUpKey=Up
#ScrollDownKey=Down

# If you have only 4 keys, you can choose to use this:
#ToggleRotateKey=Enter
#PrevScreenKey=Up
#NextScreenKey=Down

# If you have only 3 keys, you can choose to use this:
#ToggleRotateKey=Enter
#PrevScreenKey=Up

[menu]

# The following works excelent with 4 keys or more.
#MenuKey=Escape
#EnterKey=Enter
#UpKey=Up
#DownKey=Down

# If you have only 3 keys, you could use something like this:
#MenuKey=Escape
#EnterKey=Enter
#DownKey=Down

## Curses driver ##
[curses]

# color settings
# foreground color [default: blue]
#foreground=blue
# background color [default: cyan]
#background=cyan
# backlight color [default: red]
#backlight=red

# display size [default: 20x4]
#size=20x4

# What position (X,Y) to start the left top corner at...
# Default: (7,7)
#topleftx=7
#toplefty=7

## Hitachi HD44780 driver ##
[hd44780]

# Port where the LPT is. Usual values are 0x278, 0x378 and 0x3BC
Port=0x378

# Select what type of connection. See documentation for types.
ConnectionType=winamp

# If you have a keypad connected.
# You may also need to configure the keypad layout further on in this file.
Keypad=no

# If you have a switchable backlight.
Backlight=no

# If you have the additional output port ("bargraph") and you want to
# be able to control it with the lcdproc OUTPUT command
Outputport=no

# Specifies if the last line is pixel addressable or it controls an
# underline effect. [default: true (= pixel addressable); legal: yes, no]
Lastline=no

# Specifies the size of the LCD.
# In case of multiple combined displays, this should be the total size.
Size=20x4

# For multiple combined displays: how many lines does each display have.
# Vspan=2,2 means both displays have 2 lines.
vspan=2,2

# If you have a KS0073 or an other 'almost HD44780-compatible', set this
# flag to get into extended mode (4-line linear).
# This flag is NOT the old obsolete Extended option.
ExtendedMode=yes

# If your display is slow and cannot keep up with the flow of data from
# LCDd, garbage can appear on the LCDd. Set this delay factor to 2 or 4
# to increase the delays. Default: 1.
DelayMult=4

# You can reduce the inserted delays by setting this to false.
# On fast PCs it is possible your LCD does not respond correctly.
# Default: true.
DelayBus=yes

# If you have a keypad you can assign keystrings to the keys.
# See documentation for used terms and how to wire it.
# For example to give directly connected key 4 the string "Enter", use:
# KeyDirect_4=Enter
# For matrix keys use the X and Y coordinates of the key:
# KeyMatrix_1_3=Enter
#KeyMatrix_4_1=Enter
#KeyMatrix_4_2=Up
#KeyMatrix_4_3=Down