[Lcdproc] More on Garbage Data using HD44780

  • From: jblight AT science.edu (jblight AT science.edu)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] More on Garbage Data using HD44780
  • Date: Wed Jan 5 17:47:01 2005

To all,
~
I'm still having problems with garbage on my LCD.
~
I tried changing the Baud rate, Stop, Parity, and Data bits to a multiple of
combinations in minicom. (Thanks, Dave)
~
It seems to work best on 9600 baud rate, Data 8, Parity Even, Stop 1. Don't
ask why. At least snips of good data show up, then.
~
The reason I think it is just a problem with LCDproc, and not with the LCD,
the computer, or a humorless prank, is because I can echo perfect,
uncorrupted data directly through the serial port.
i.e.
echo "Hey, Cruel World " > /dev/ttyS1
OR
echo "Hey, Cruel World Yes, it is.
" > /dev/ttyS1
~
Yes, but if you notice, I have to have exactly 39 spaces for characters, and
only the first sixteen show up on the LCD. Then it wraps around and starts
on the next line. OR 79 spaces, and after 40, "Yes, it is." shows up on the
second line.
~
Call me an idiot, but it looks like the LCD is set up somehow to be a 40x2
instead of a 16x2 display.
~
I believe I shall throw a fit.
~
Any other suggestions in getting this thing to work?
~
Jonathan

To all,
~
I have been struggling with LCDproc for a while.
~
I am trying to use it on a 16x2 character LCD. I have it hooked up to
/dev/ttyS1. (That's serial.) I am using the HD44780 driver, though I've
tried all the others.
~
The part number of the chip (if it matters) that drives this LCD is
PIC16C55A.
~
I am using lcdproc-0.4.5. It was the only version I could get to install on
my linux without any "make" errors.
~
Sounds depressing already, doesn't it?
~
Right now, when I run LCDd, I get an enormous amount of garbage data, almost
like my computer is too fast for the display. When I stop the LCDd daemon, I
get something that looks like, "*& Th % anks %^or usi#$ng Li nux" on the
two lines of LCD.
~
I tried to change the "DelayMult" number in the /etc/LCDd.conf file, but I
couldn't see any improvement.
~
Here is the way I am currently calling LCDd:
~
LCDd -d hd44780 -a 127.0.0.1 -p 13666 -u nobody -w 5
~
~
~
I telneted into the running port of the daemon and set a widget to scroll.
Through the Matrix-style cascade of random characters I saw, playing over
and over, snippets of the "1234567890abcd" I had set on my widget.
~
$!%&?@$#
~
To be quite honest, I would have trashed LCDproc a long time ago if there
was a remote chance of another option.
~
Do you guys have any ideas?
~