[Lcdproc] Garbage Data using HD44780

  • From: jblight AT sceince.edu (jblight AT sceince.edu)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Garbage Data using HD44780
  • Date: Wed Jan 5 04:28:17 2005

To all,
~
I have been struggling with LCDproc for a while.
~
I am trying to use it on a 16x2 character LCD. I have it hooked up to
/dev/ttyS1. (That's serial.) I am using the HD44780 driver, though I've
tried all the others.
~
The part number of the chip (if it matters) that drives this LCD is
PIC16C55A.
~
I am using lcdproc-0.4.5. It was the only version I could get to install on
my linux without any "make" errors.
~
Sounds depressing already, doesn't it?
~
Right now, when I run LCDd, I get an enormous amount of garbage data, almost
like my computer is too fast for the display. When I stop the LCDd daemon, I
get something that looks like, "*& Th % anks %^or usi#$ng Li nux" on the
two lines of LCD.
~
I tried to change the "DelayMult" number in the /etc/LCDd.conf file, but I
couldn't see any improvement.
~
Here is the way I am currently calling LCDd:
~
LCDd -d hd44780 -a 127.0.0.1 -p 13666 -u nobody -w 5
~
~
~
I telneted into the running port of the daemon and set a widget to scroll.
Through the Matrix-style cascade of random characters I saw, playing over
and over, snippets of the "1234567890abcd" I had set on my widget.
~
$!%&?@$#
~
To be quite honest, I would have trashed LCDproc a long time ago if there
was a remote chance of another option.
~
Do you guys have any ideas?
~