[Lcdproc] autoconf 2.50 in nightly tarballs

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] autoconf 2.50 in nightly tarballs
  • Date: Tue Oct 19 18:12:01 2004

Hi Guillaume,

On Monday 18 October 2004 04:19, Guillaume Filion wrote:
> Le 04-10-17, =E0 17:18, Peter Marschall a =E9crit :
> > I have updated the autoconf environment so that it is compatible
> > with autocnf 2.50 and automake1.4 as well as automake1.7.
> >
> > Generating the build invornment using 'sh autogen.sh' will thus stop
> > cease to work with autoconf version smaller than 2.50.
>
> This is a good thing. This should be noted that this is the case only
> for current, stable-0-4-x still works with the old autoconf.
>
> > This should not affect the nightlies since - if I understood Guillaume
> > Filion
> > correctly - he has updated his tarball-generator scripts to work with
> > automake 1.7 and autoconf 2.50
>
> It looks like the nightlies generate well. I had to "apt-get remove
> autoconf2.13 automake" to make it work, like you explained in your
> recent email to the list. For the record, here are the warnings that I
> get when running autogen.sh in each branch.

Glad to hear that.

> The warning for current are:
> server/drivers/Makefile.am:15: `LDFLAGS' is a user variable, you should
> not override it;
> server/drivers/Makefile.am:15: use `AM_LDFLAGS' instead.
> server/drivers/Makefile.am:15: `LDFLAGS' is a user variable, you should
> not override it;
> server/drivers/Makefile.am:15: use `AM_LDFLAGS' instead.
I changed it in CVS.
Please note that this breaks compatibility with automake 1.4 since
automake 1.4 does not know of AM_LDFLAGS.

> The warnings for stable-0-4-x are:
> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
> `config.h.bot'
> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
> `config.h.in'
> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template
> without
> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced,
> see the
> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.
> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
> `config.h.bot'
> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
> `config.h.in'
> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template
> without
> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced,
> see the
> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.

Well, autoheader 2.50 sees acconfig.h as deprecated and wants to have all
the definitions for config.h.in in configure.in.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think this currently does not hinder autoconf from=
=20
working.

If you absolutely want to get rid of it you need to reinstall autoconf 2.13
and then you have to change autogen.sh from CVS-current so that it calls
autoconf and autoheader with options that exist only in autoconf 2.50
(which may indeed cause warnings there ;-)))))
And of course there is the alternative of upgrading the autoconf stuff from=
=20
the stable versions to autoconf 2.50.=20

But IMHO this is not worth the hassle.

Yours
Peter

=2D-=20