[Lcdproc] HD44780 trouble

  • From: peter AT adpm.de (Peter Marschall)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 trouble
  • Date: Fri Oct 1 14:07:02 2004

Hi,

On Friday 01 October 2004 14:43, Rene Wagner wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 22:30, Joris Robijn wrote:
> > I think HD44780 is not compiled in with -enable-drivers=all. This is
> > because parallel port is not supported on all platforms.
>
> --enable-drivers=all does indeed include hd44780. The driver is however
> skipped if no parallel port support is detected.
hmmm, one of my drivers for USB devices is realized as a ConnectionType
to the hd44780 driver.
It was the original author's decision to do so. IMHO the main reason for this
decision was the simplicity of the ConnectionType sub-driver API in the
hd44780 driver.

But if hd44780 gets skipped if there is no parallel port the ConnectionType
sub-driver does not get built also even if it does not need a parallel port.

How to solve the problem ?
* Recode as a spearate driver ?
* Make the build system check for the parallal port or USB ?

I'd prefer the former solution since it separates the drivers cleanly.
The drawback is that this solution doubles quit a bit of code (especially the
user defined character stuff) - but maybe that is a problem that can be
solved later by refactoring these things into their own files.

Alternatives, ideas, suggestions ?

Peter

--
Peter Marschall