[Lcdproc] Display Hangs

  • From: dquinn AT presco.co.uk (David Quinn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Display Hangs
  • Date: Thu Sep 23 12:38:01 2004

> Hi
>
> I've installed LCDproc 0.4.5 on a debian system with a CrystalFontz 634
> 20x4 serial LCD connected.
>
> I have written a program in c which polls the input on a parallel port and
> displays a simple counter. I load LCDd and my program and the display
> starts. However, after around 10-12 minutes, the display freezes. My
> program is still counting in the background (it writes its count to a
> file) but the display is not updating and according to the return value of
> the send() command which sends the count, it is still successfully sending
> the full 38 characters or the widget_set command.
>
> I turned on the error reporting at set it to 5 in /etc/LCDd.conf and when
> the display hangs, the log contains:
>
> LCDd: drivers_getkey()
> last message repeated 219 times
> last message repeated 435 times
> (and so on)
>
> If I kill my program and restart it, the display resets and starts up
> again, only to hang again 10 minutes later.
>
> I can't work out if LCDd is hanging or if the display itself is not
> responding. The entry in the log appears to indicate that LCDd is waiting
> for a key input. I've tried setting FreePauseKey, FreeBackKey,
> FreeForwardKey and FreeMainMenuKey to yes in LCDd.conf but it made no
> difference.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem before?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David Quinn

I think it's fixed!

After the send() statements sending the commands to lcdproc, I wasn't
querying any input from the socket. I guess that after a few minutes, the
buffer was full and not allowing any more screen updates. Adding read()
statements after each send() to handle the response seems to have fixed
it, my counter has been running for nearly an hour without a problem.

David Quinn