[Lcdproc] adding support for off-shelf ARM board?

  • From: dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] adding support for off-shelf ARM board?
  • Date: Sat Sep 18 14:03:02 2004

I see no reason philosophical why we would refuse integrated.

But...
LCDproc is not Open Source, but Free Software.
Your patch has to be GPL.
Your patch should preferably be available for both 0.5 (the futur) and
0.4.5 (the past).
Your patch should integrate well with the existing HD44780 and all the
existing sub-driver to deal with various and too many wiring already
available.

The long term goal is to get rid of all those hardcoded wiring specifics
and have something configurable without recompilation... so one day or
another we might want to break it with your help.

Hopefully, LCDproc evolution is rather slow, 0.4.5 is rather stable and
there to stay as it is (almost) for ever. So the possible "catch up"
game is unlikely.

However the variety of hardware supported by LCDproc make it hard to
test every piece of hardware at every upgrade. We will rely on you our
your customer to verify we did not break anything. Normally, this kind
of break do not take place frequently because we avoid to touch driver
space or API between driver and core (but we did it in 0.5 compare to
0.4.x and it forced us to code in the dark some driver).

It would be rather interesting to see you patch (if not too long post it
here) and to get an explanation on how it is diferent... is it related
to special IO (not parrallel port) or to a special wiring? Does access
to that DIO require root or other priviledge? Is the "priviledge
separation" (getting rid of root priviledge in our case) done diferently
than for parallel port?

Also your feedback on running lcdproc (client or server) on arm will be
very interesting too.

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/