[Lcdproc] OpenBSD 3.5 - Matrix Orbital LK204 - lcdproc

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] OpenBSD 3.5 - Matrix Orbital LK204 - lcdproc
  • Date: Wed Aug 4 23:06:02 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 22:06, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
> I have an issue with the LCDd integration with the MtxOrb driver with
> OpenBSD 3.5 release.

This is rather unrelated to LCDd. It's an OS driver issue...

> The Matrix Orbital is correctly seen as an USB device by the kernel :
>
> ugen0 at uhub0 port 1
> ugen0: Matrix Orbital LK/VK204-24-USB, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 2
>
> But ugen is the raw USB interface, I was expecting a tty-like mapping
> between the raw device and the serial USB module (like ucom or
> alike).

Right, the LCD is recognized as a USB device and that's about it.
The driver that is loaded is a generic driver and not suitable to
actually get access to the display.

Both Crystal Fontz and Matrix Orbital appear to have re-used their
serial port based designs (with protocol changes as far as CFontz is
concerned) and simply added an FTDI chip for USB connectivity which is
also used by common USB to serial adaptors.

Thus, what you need is a driver for that chip. In Free/Net/OpenBSD
the corresponding driver appears to be uftdi.

Looking at the source
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/usb/uftdi.c?v=OPENBSD#L128
the driver obviously checks for certain USB IDs with that of your
display not included.

Since that ID is defined in
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/usb/usbdevs.h?v=OPENBSD#L731
it should be sufficient to add
USB_PRODUCT_FTDI_LCD_LK202_24_USB
to the list of supported IDs in dev/usb/uftdi.c to make the driver
recognize your display.

> I suspect that LCDd is using a tty-like interface.

Yes. The uftdi driver should create a character device. That's the only
way we can communicate with the display through the FTDI chip.

Please report back if the above suggestions work and possibly send
patches to the appropriate *BSD lists.

Rene

PS: Note that I neither run OpenBSD nor have the display in question.