[Lcdproc] Proposal for a C++ client API

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Proposal for a C++ client API
  • Date: Fri Jun 18 22:33:02 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 17:00,
tian-misc AT c-sait.net
wrote:
> I discovered LCDproc about one week ago. I found it very interesting even
> if I do not have an LCD for the moment (but plan to buy one when I will
> have saved some money).
>
> I was suprised that there is no client API.

There is one for python and one for java, but nothing for C/C++ yet.

> So I began to develop a C++
> one. Only a part of what it could be has been done for the moment (the
> TODO list is quite long). But I'd just want to know first if you think it
> could be useful

It would definitely be useful.

> and possibily integrated in the LCDproc delivery.

I don't think it's a good idea to integrate it into the main
distribution. We can however put the code into the main LCDproc
CVS (of course providing CVS commit access to you) and distribute
a separate package (only containing the library) from the SF.net
and lcdproc.org websites (thus making it "official").

There are two major reasons why I'd like to distribute it as a
separate package.
a) the autotools stuff in the main LCDproc package is somewhat
outdated and adding more stuff won't simplify things to say
the least
b) you'd typically not want to release a library under GPL but
LGPL to allow proprietary vendors to link against the library.

> Here is what is supported at present :
[...]

At first glance that looks pretty good to me. Unfortunately I don't
have the time to look into it in detail (you haven't provided the full
code anyway).

A few notes:
- Make sure to handle all communication. (Read responses from the
server, throw exceptions in case of errors)
- Some sort of GTK like main loop might prove useful.

So, I'd be happy to see your code in the LCDproc CVS if you wish to.

Regards,

Rene