[Lcdproc] HD44780 problems

  • From: isaacsorge AT hfx.eastlink.ca (Isaac)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 problems
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 00:17:01 2003

I just bought an Optrex DMC20481 with an HD44780 controller on it; I got
around to wiring it up today and I can't seem to get it to work right.

I've got a pot hooked up for contrast, and only at its most-grounded setting
can i see anything, and then it's just the 1st and 3rd lines filled with
blocks. I've tried it hooked to a data pin for +5V, and i've also tried it
hooked to a floppy connector. With the data pin, the voltage from Vcc to GND
is 1.6V, and with the floppy connector it's 2.5V. On one of the data pins
it's 4.6V, and the rest are all ~2.5V.

My two questions are:

a) Why is the voltage so low at the pins? I don't understand this at all.
b) If the voltage was this low, would this have caused a latchup and fried my
controller?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Isaac