[Lcdproc] lcdproc (client) completely ported to NetBSD.

  • From: coto AT core.de (Thomas Runge)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] lcdproc (client) completely ported to NetBSD.
  • Date: Sun Aug 17 11:01:02 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Rene Wagner wrote:

> > > The
> > > Makefile does the magic of only compiling the relevant
> > > foo_<uname -s>.c file, possibly doing some magic by calling the
> > > systems uname(1), assigning it to a variable and using that for
> > > further processing.
>
> We would have to use the autotools for that though.

As I have no idea about that autotools, it would be nice, if
someone could do that for me.

> But the only library I'm aware of which provides the required
> functionality is libgtop (Please correct me if you know of other libs).
> And, unfortunately, I haven't found anything specific about libgtop's
> current status and I'm unsure if it is a good idea to use it.

libgtop is a gnome project. I don't think, we should make us depend
on that huge gnome libraries.

Btw., I implemented my approach and machine_NetBSD.c is just 7014 bytes
in size, machine_Linux.c right now is 10762 in size. I think, thats
okay.

> I have a FreeBSD 4.6 system here. Feel free to send me code for
> testing.

Well, I recognized, that just "testing" is not enough. I have to check,
if the includes are okay or if I can remove some of them. I have to
check, if I got the ifdefs right and if the old code is still okay or
can/should be replaced by better versions.
That will be more then just "send the code, I'll test", it will include
some programming. So a real account is very much appreciated.

This is a call for support. I need a (temporary) account on every
OS we support or the said OS falls behind or gets removed. As an
alternative I need someone with some programming skills to do the
tests and make some additions.

Thank you!

--
Tom