[Lcdproc] Hd44780 and size problems again - solved, I think?

  • From: coto AT core.de (Thomas Runge)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Hd44780 and size problems again - solved, I think?
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 08:00:01 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Roel Adriaans wrote:

> You didn't read the config file completely. There is an option to set the
> driver path:

I know, I'm opening a can of worms here, but why does lcdproc has
dynamically loadable drivers? Aren't we OpenSource? When a new
driver gets implemented, I can just rebuild from source or get
a new binary package which probably pops up earlier than just
the driver object file.

Dynamically loadable drivers add a lot of complexity (and security
riscs, you have to verify multiple files for consistency then just
one) where it isn't required. (We have seen in the previous mail,
that this even confuses users.)

On the other side, the lcdproc client has support for every OS
included in it's source (and mixes architecture dependent and
independent code), spiced with a lot of ifdef's. I think, this would
be the best place to add modularity (at the source level, not the
object file level).

If I where the software architect, I'd include the drivers in the
lcdproc daemon, making it standalone, and separate MD and MI code
for the lcdproc client.

But this is of course just my personal view. :-)

--
Tom