[Lcdproc] OT: uClibc and LCDproc...

  • From: dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] OT: uClibc and LCDproc...
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 21:07:02 2003

> p.s. the lcdproc package for Bering uClibc is packaged and maintained by me.

Totally out of topic.

I have receaved from my company 4 Cisco 3000 router (1 Serial + 1 Eth +
1 Aux + 1 Console). They were collecting dust until I found time to
clean them.

There is not a lot of flash nor memory, but enought to boot from the
network a 10.3 IOS or to install a linux image from the cisco port of
uClinux.

I have two plan to use them.

1) Using the thing known as reverse telnet. I could boot the cisco with
IOS. Telnet the ethernet IP port number 2001 (or use an ip alias and
telnet that IP on port 23) and talk to a serial LCD connected on the AUX
port. This is what I always wanted to do, have an LCD in the networking
room that I could control over the network to display usefull thing. The
cisco will only be a IP packet to serial link convertor. LCDd should run
somewhere else.

Actually we use Catalyst 6000 with supervisor 2 and Switching fabrique.
The switching fabrique is having a nice LCD that display cisco logo or
lcd banner (or your choice) or alarm.

2) Compiling a uClinux with the patch to make my ethernet interface
work. Compile LCDproc with the choosen serial port driver and run LCDd
inside that linux inside cisco box.

So your work on uClibc is welcome. Please give us some feed back on how
LCDproc behave with that lib, where you plan to use it, ...

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let the computer/expert control the election
Information for Belgium in french: http://www.poureva.be/