[Lcdproc] orphan drivers

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] orphan drivers
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 19:51:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 01:31, Joris Robijn wrote:
> If there is an API change those drivers are a problem too. A change like
> what I proposed will "probably work" by using Coding In the Dark. But I
> agree with you we can't really make big API changes without those
> maintainers or testers. That means that drivers for which there is no
> maintainer or tester are getting us stuck anyway.

Once again.

The current driver API is absolutely sufficient to get whatever you want
on the (hardware) screen of the LCD.

Some functions that retrieve certain information from the driver may
indeed be missing.

Basically all this is about the simple thing that you can't change an
API just because you feel like that.

> I don't want to get stuck only because we want to support all devices
> that some person has ever written a driver for. We might have to leave
> some orphan drivers behind.

That's not an option.

Regards,

Rene