[Lcdproc] orphan drivers

  • From: Luis.F.Correia AT seg-social.pt (Luis.F.Correia)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] orphan drivers
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 11:07:01 2003

Although I'm not a coder, just an overall reader of this mailing list,
here's how I see LCDproc right now.

And please, no flames, ok? This is just a comment.

Lcdproc (any version) is a valuable peace of software , although the
specifications are very hard to find.

Starting with the API.

There should be a place in the webserver (omnipotent or sourceforge)
where the current valid API's (0.4.x and 0.5.x) are perfectly described.

The most things programmers ask when writing new clients is this API.
Normally the default response is: 'read the whatever.c source code
for a practical example'. This scares off most programmers, me included.

The stable API (0.4.x) should be published.
Of course, practical example code must be provided.

The unstable/development API (0.5.x) should also be published.
Side-notes must be taken, to warn the programmer of potential API changes.

Then, in this mailing list, there is a lot of discussion over very tiny
details, that slows down development to almost a complete halt.
All we need to look for is the date for the stable release...

(from the download page) LCDproc v0.4.3 Released May 30, 2002

I know i'm now helping. I'm even confusing some.

PLEASE! agree to something and release.
Then support new stuff in new releases.

Keep changing the API as many times you want, BUT for each API a release
must exist.

That is all.

Thanks a lot to ALL coders who actively support LCDPROC.

p.s. the lcdproc package for Bering uClibc is packaged and maintained by me.