[Lcdproc] bounding box

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] bounding box
  • Date: Tue Jul 29 19:58:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 21:14, Joris Robijn wrote:
> > Sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea to refer to programs
> > that you may be familiar with but others may be not when it's
> > about explaining an IMHO drastic API change.
>
> Why do you think it's a drastic change ?

a) It requires a new function all drivers have to implement.
b) (more important) It requires the drivers to implement
real - non-trivial - functionality.
Writing drivers (at least serial ones) should be trivial.
c) It introduced multiply redundant code, which is a BAD THING (TM)

> It does not change the way any
> usual widget it drawn in any way. It would only allow frames to be
> rendered correctly.

It remains a workaround.

> > Every single operation that writes to a certain address in memory
> > should _ALWAYS_ double check what it's doing before it actually
> > does anything at all.
>
> Agreed, but that does not change the fact that they hardly ever do. Check
> the string and char functions in the drivers.

I know :(

> > > If noone object I'll put it in tomorrow (yes I want to rush this a bit
> > > :)
> >
> > A clear NO! from my side unless you explain what exactly you
> > want to do including details on why it is neccessary.
> >
> > Also, I don't think a time frame of a _single day_ is appropriate
> > for anything important concerning changes to the server
> > core, the driver API, or the client protocol.
>
> OK point taken.

Thanks :)

> > I really appreciate every single improvement to the rendering code,
> > but we should stick to normal development rules.
>
> OK I should have given more info and taken more time. But come on, we
> should move on ! 0.5 development should continue actively and 0.4 should
> have a new release. Let's keep this locomotive running.

Actually I do have a lot of stuff rotting on my harddisk because I
haven't had the time to do the final "fine-tuning".

That includes python "bindings" for client development, support for
storing the configuration settings in an LDAP directory, a patch
that fixes some segfaults, and last but not least an SDL based
X driver...

Regards,

Rene