[Fwd: Re: [OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty]

  • From: a.krause AT tu-bs.de (Andreas Krause)
  • Subject: [Fwd: Re: [OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty]
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 12:14:02 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:13:37 +0200
From: Andreas Krause
<a.krause AT tu-bs.de>
To: Luis.F.Correia
<Luis.F.Correia AT seg-social.pt>

Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> I'm not starting a flame war. That is not my idea.
>

>>>(you don't actually need usb knowledge:
>>
>>Ah, ok, having a special chip do the job makes things
>>easier of course :)
MUCH easier !!! :-)

> That is just what I was talking about, when I wrote the OffTopic remark.
> If one uses special USB chips, then all is easy.
> We will be limited to waht the chip can make, but I guess that this is
> not such a big deal.

Of course you are limited to what the chip can make, and that's not much
! It only offers a bidirectional interface (usb <--> parallel or
usb <--> serial), but that is enough.
In fact, you always need a small uC to control the chip.

> BTW, is this chip easy to find?
see on FTDI's webpage (www.ftdichip.com) and search for your local
distributor...

> How much does it cost? (in one unit buy)
mine (FT245BM) was about 6,- EUR.

regards,
Andreas