[OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty
  • Date: Sun Jul 27 19:03:01 2003

Hi,

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 12:34, Andreas Krause wrote:
> I've had also the idea of developing a USB->parallel LCD
> some time ago, so I developed a small pcb-board using an
> AVR (AT90S8515) Controller (www.atmel.com) and the FTDI
> FT245BM USB->parallel converter (www.ftdichip.com).

Sounds great.

> (you don't actually need usb knowledge:

Ah, ok, having a special chip do the job makes things
easier of course :)

> on hostside,
> there is a virtual serial device (eg /dev/ttyUSB0) and
> on controller side, you just have to read a FIFO )
>
> It matches the specifications blow quite exactly.

Indeed.

> There are drivers for the FT245 for linux available,
> which are the same CrytalFontz uses for their usb-lcds.
>
> The avr can be programmed in C with linux using the normal gcc
> (http://gcc.gnu.org).
> for code-download you only need a 6 wire cable connected
> to the printer port.

I remember that being an advantage of the atmel
controllers...

> I used this to play with my SED1335 LCD and some graphics.
> Therefore I adopted the Lcdproc driver (its easy).
> So this will work with other lcds too.

Neat.

> If there is any interest in this project, I would make
> this projet open source.

Of course there is interest =)

> If anyone wants to take a closer look to this project,
> just ask for code, schematics and pcb-files
> (Eagle, freeware licence, www.cadsoft.de) and a bunch of links.

I used to work with an ooooold DOS version of Eagle
at school. I still haven't found the reason why the current
freeware versions refuse to load my old files :(

Anyways, nice job.
I'd be more than happy to have a look at what you've done
so far.
I think we could also host your files on SF if you want
us to.

Regards,

Rene