[OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty

  • From: a.krause AT tu-bs.de (Andreas Krause)
  • Subject: [OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty
  • Date: Sun Jul 27 10:33:01 2003

Rene Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> trying to clarify a few things...
>
> It was not my intention to start a flame war.
> Also, I don't think this is off topic...
>
> I've had the idea of developing a USB->parallel LCD
> solution as an open hardware project for quite a while.

Hi to all,
I've had also the idea of developing a USB->parallel LCD
some time ago, so I developed a small pcb-board using an
AVR (AT90S8515) Controller (www.atmel.com) and the FTDI
FT245BM USB->parallel converter (www.ftdichip.com).
(you don't actually need usb knowledge: on hostside,
there is a virtual serial device (eg /dev/ttyUSB0) and
on controller side, you just have to read a FIFO )

It matches the specifications blow quite exactly.
There are drivers for the FT245 for linux available,
which are the same CrytalFontz uses for their usb-lcds.

The avr can be programmed in C with linux using the normal gcc
(http://gcc.gnu.org).
for code-download you only need a 6 wire cable connected
to the printer port.

I used this to play with my SED1335 LCD and some graphics.
Therefore I adopted the Lcdproc driver (its easy).
So this will work with other lcds too.

If there is any interest in this project, I would make
this projet open source.
If anyone wants to take a closer look to this project,
just ask for code, schematics and pcb-files
(Eagle, freeware licence, www.cadsoft.de) and a bunch of links.

regards
Andreas Krause