[Lcdproc] Trying to get a new 633 USB working on RH9

  • From: cslyon AT netsvcs.com (Christopher Lyon)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Trying to get a new 633 USB working on RH9
  • Date: Thu Jul 24 22:52:01 2003

I have been using RH9.0 with kernel 2.4.20-18.9 and ere are the steps
that I took in getting the 633 USB working. It seems that the default
kernel with RH9.0 didn't have the ftdi driver built in so you must
upgrade, as you noted below.

This is snip from the notes that I have.

1. Install the kernel-source and kernel. Reboot and get the new kernel
working.=20

2. Backup the old ftdi_sio.h and .c files and replace them with the
attached (If you want to modified version please ask me or I can do a
diff -c for you) under /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/usb/serial
You might want to check the symlink to make sure that is
correct.=20
I also put comments in the code '/* ADD */' for items that I
added.=20

3. Follow the steps to do an entire recompile of the kernel.=20

=20
Run them in order
'make mrproper' - just to be sure everything is clean

'make menuconfig' - just open and save. Unless you want to get tricky
and make some mods.

'make dep' - setups up the dependancies

'make -j2 bzImage' - that creates the image for grub loader (NOTE LILO
is a different command)

'make modules' - makes the module files
'make modules_install' - installs the modules files
'make install' - installs the new kernel

4. Check your /boot/grub/grub.conf file to make sure the kernel and
settings are in there. You should see a kernel-2.4.20-18.9.custom in
there.

5. Reboot to the new kernel.=20

6. You are ready to go. If it is the first device, it should show up as
/dev/ttyUSB0

Notes just as an FYI:=20
make mrproper - cleans everything even the .config
make clean - just cleans the object and other complied files

I have this working just using these commands on four machines now
without any problems. I don't know if any of these steps can be shorten,
taken out or added to but this is what I found to work.

Any questions let me know.

Christopher Lyon

workaround(recipe)
> for the new 633USB...