[OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty

  • From: bock AT blacknet.de (Goetz Bock)
  • Subject: [OT] remark [Lcdproc] can LCDproc and LIRC share one tty
  • Date: Wed Jul 23 10:25:02 2003

On Wed, Jul 23 '03 at 11:12, Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> > > And needs to buy special IC's to support it.
> > There is a guy on the internet that has build a usb (1.1 slow) device
> > from a $5.00 Atmel Chip. He has written the whole
> > Serial-Interface-Engine in Assembler, and it seams to work.
>
> I do get your point and any info is welcome.
>
> but... why should one have to build an USB-to-Serial converter if
> we could just have the plain old serial port?
Oh, a "Serial-Interface-Engine" is not a USB-to-Serial converter. It's
the name for the component that does the sending and receiving of URBs
(the USB "frames") on the usb.

When you have a working SIE than you can create any kind of logic.
Granted the Atmel will probebly not be fast enough to do any more than a
simple serial, but you could probably attach a HD44780.

(The chip is already overclocked to 12MHz and has 8 instructions per bit
on the USB line (1.5MBit/s), but as USB does some funky encoding it
needs all this. but a device can take some time to process an URB once
it's received)
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de -- secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ / (c) 2003 as GNU FDL 1.1