[Lcdproc] New HD44780 sub driver

  • From: vince AT kyllikki.org (Vincent Sanders)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] New HD44780 sub driver
  • Date: Mon Jul 7 19:31:01 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:36:25PM +0200, Joris Robijn wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2003 at 2:36, Vincent Sanders wrote:
>
> > Greetings
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> Because you explicitly asked, a reply ;) Nah, I guess I should have
> replied anyway.

ahem - I am subscribed too...

> It's very nice to see an extra subdriver again. The device seems
> interesting too !

It is ;-)

> However I see two problems with integrating it. First, the 0.4.4 branch
> is now frozen. Only very limited bugfixes will still get in. The 0.5 is
> the current branch. It's not difficult to get your subdriver from 0.4 to
> 0.5.

Perhaps this needs documenting! I spent not inconsiderable effort
getting this driver into the 0.4.4 tree. I was aiming to get it into
the stable release and the changes to do the subdriver closing were
not easy coming from zero knowledge of the code :-(

> Secondly our primary target platform is Linux. Next to Linux, we try to

Yes right, err the board only runs linux ATM!

> support as many other platforms as possible. But if I'm not mistaken,
> your driver will not run on Linux or on any other platform than the ARM.

ARM Linux is the only thing that runs on the board and as such the
driver is only useful for that target yes...But it should be useful on
all the ARM dev boards in the range that support the LCD module
connection directly!

> Of course you can convince us we should integrate it anyway if there are
> very good arguments, for example because this is a very very very popular
> device :) Anyways, your patch is on the mailinglist archive, so others
> can use it if they want.

I was aiming for inclusion in the main CVS so i dont have to produce
patched versions all the time trying to keep up...but if thats not
possible I will maintain the code outside - maybe there is a
possibility of a link to the patch?

--
Regards Vincent
http://www.kyllikki.org/