[Lcdproc] Starting a Seetron SGX-120L driver

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Starting a Seetron SGX-120L driver
  • Date: Tue Oct 22 12:56:01 2002

Hi Harald,

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 11:06, David GLAUDE Mailing wrote:
> > I have a problem here. Is it possible that a lot has changed compared to
> > the 0.4.4-stable snapshot? no lcd.c, etc. I have no idea where to add the
> > things that are needed. ...
>
> I guess you are not in the stable-0-4-4 branch but in the main branch.
> Actually the main branch is 0.5.
> Trying to add your code (if it is the case) there might cause trouble.
> I am not enough into CVS to help you further, but it might give you a clue,
> and other on the list are certainly more skillfull in CVS undo and branch
> selection.
> Otherwise the mailing list archieve explain (when the "fork" between 0.5 and
> stable-0-4-x
> was done) how to access one or the other.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but it had to be said!

Is it so difficult to read documentation on CVS? Why don't you ask on
the mailing list first (considering the fact that you yourself have
realized there's something going wrong here)?

David is right, you've blindly committed your changes to the MAIN
branch.

I guess, you're not able to fix what you've done...

Maybe I (or Guillaume?) will fix it tonight.

So, some notes on CVS usage:
- add -r stable-0-4-4 when you do a checkout
- you can (but you don't have to) add it all the time
- you need different directories for each branch
- create a working copy of the whole lcdproc module
- before committing anything to CVS:
* create a diff between your working directory
and the original stuff from CVS
* do a cvs update (-r stable-0-4-4)
* check whether anything has changed since you
started coding your changes
* allways re-apply your changes (diff and patch will help you)
* check whether the sources still compile and whether the resulting
binaries work
+ best of all create a new working copy
+ fix problems if any
* try to commit your changes in _small_ pieces...
multiple small diffs are highly recommended
* always comment on what you've done:
+ a cvs commit should open an editor asking you to comment
on what you've done
+ you can also add -m "YOUR COMMENT HERE" on the command line
+ sending those comments to the mailing list, or editing
the changelog is nice, but absolutely _useless_ when
it becomes neccessary to dive into the CVS logs to see
where a bug or whatever has been introduced
- don't commit changes to CVS late at night ;)
trust me... I've done some really weird things in the past

Regards,

Rene

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.